Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: ELITE

ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #206

• Lindley Dupree
  • We’re all given gifts–where we share them=passion!
  • , DC
Welcome back, Emerging Leaders!

For this week's assignments, please respond to the following questions:

1. What resource did you choose to read (or get started reading!), and what is its primary focus/message? Was it worthwhile? What other resources would you recommend we include?

2. How are you/could you be engaged in your agency's strategic planning process, and what suggestions do you have for others to be active in this critical area?
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Lindley Dupree.

Re: ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #208

1. I read Building Leaderful Organizations: Succession Planning for Nonprofits. The article focused on succession planning, but not just in the traditional manner that we are accustomed to reading about, the author discussed the important of long-term and emergency succession plan but also talked about strategic leader development. Strategic leader development is planning to expand an organization’s pool of capable leadership so that it can steadily follow its long-term vision and mission, undeterred by staff transitions. The article provided a framework for this type of planning which I think all Community Action Agencies could benefit from. Several templates and resources were also included in the article.

2. The MACA network adopted a ten year transformational plan in 2007. We are currently engaged in the implementation of phase II (2010-2013). The transformational plan is centered around three strategic commitments:
1. Organizing Communities and Develop Advocates to End Poverty
2. Develop Leaders Committed to Ending Poverty throughout Missouri
3. Build a Respected, Strategic, Statewide Organization that is an Effective Leader

and Catalyst to End Poverty
We have created strategic commitment teams made up of MACA staff, network members and community partners that are focused on achieving the outcomes identified in our plan through the implementation of specific strategies. I lead the strategic commitment team focused on developing leaders. I also work closely with our boards Longer Term Planning Committee which is focused on our transformational plan and long-term planning and development. Over the next year, we will begin planning for the final stage of implementation in our ten year plan. I will be actively engaged in the planning process as a staff member.

Re: ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #209

I read and really appreciated Centered Leadership: How Talented Women Thrive. I think the centered leadership model correlates beautifully with effective strategic planning; for example finding meaning in the plan, managing the organization's energy as the plan is being implemented, positive framing of the plan, connecting the plan with all stakeholders, and engaging in the storytelling process once the plan has been achieved is a helpful way of thinking of the organization’s strategic direction. Also, as a leader, given that I am juggling many demands on my time and energy, the centered approach is a helpful strategy for sustaining my personal effectiveness.

My agency is just starting its strategic planning process. Currently, I am helping my ED to gather information/resources which will support our planning efforts. I don’t have much to offer in this area; however, I welcome anyone’s wisdom on how we might structure our process.

Tiffney Marley
North Carolina Community Action Association
Tiffney Marley
North Carolina Community Action Association
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Tiffney Marley. Reason: funky script

Re: ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #212

The first reading I looked into was, "Delivering on the promise of Nonprofits.". Basically it talks about if a non profit tries to do too much, then it can never really show an impact on the work or problem they are trying to address. Nonprofits need to know what the organization is accountable for? How they will achieve them?What will results really cost, and how can we fund them? This helps organizations stay on track to really make an impact and then be able to expand as an organization.

Currently I have requested to be part of the strategic planning for our organization, which surprised my manager and deputy director. Suggestions I have for others who are interested in contributing to this area, is to communicate with your leadership and discuss what their vision is. Include your input,especially if you currently are more engaged with the line staff and the program structure. You can add valuable information of processes that need to be changed and how they can be improved. Ask questions, so you fully understand their mindsets. I like to make sure after I have these conversations that I follow up with similar conversation and make sure I remind them of my interest in helping with this development. To summarize all that, you must make an impact with your ideas, thoughts and understanding so they keep you in mind when it comes to the strategic planning.

Re: ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #213

I selected three on-line resources: (1.) Ten Keys to Successful Strategic Planning for Non profit and Foundation Leaders by: Richard A. Mittenthal (2.) Non-Profit Organization: Strategic Plan as a Board Responsibility suite101.com (3.) Four Fatal Flaws of Strategic Planning; by: Ed Barrows. In Ten Keys the highlight of what I learned involved the importance of vision, setting clear priorities and an achievable implementation of an action plan. The second article spoke to the importance of Board oversight. Allowing the plan to be reviewed at least quarterly and is kept as an ongoing agenda item. This article also stated that most Strategic Plan lengths last three years and the work for the next strategic plan should begin in the third year, keeping the organization fresh and actively engaged. The third and final article located in the Harvard Business Review helped me to understand what causes plans to fail. Most importantly failing to link to the execution process. Committee meetings get cancelled, individuals find reasons to not attend and the life of the process eventually expires under the weight of a slow death…

Our agency is in the thick of implementing action plans to address the needs of our most recent Pathways to Excellence Evaluation. I will request that I be able to assist the sub-committee responsible for Strategic Planning and its implementation. My engagement will be to share this information to any and all who will listen. At our combined PTE meeting I will bring copies of the articles I read, and the power point information. If I could be so bold as to offering a suggestion it would be this; “patience exemplifies worth”, meaning all good things worth having are earned through hard work and the patience to see it through.
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Elizabeth Porter.

Re: ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #214

I read a few articles, my favorites were “Delivering on the promise of
non profits” and “Collaborating for the common good” both articles reinforced the information we learned Last week during the webinar. The articles focused on streamlining goals and accountability, Achieving the goals and of course funding.

We are in the process of developing our strategic plan, at this point I have not been involved In the process I have not really even asked too many questions, mostly
because of my lack of Knowledge and experience with strategic planning. I feel with what I have been reading and the great webinar we had last week, I would and will have the ability to engage in the process of our strategic plan.
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by lisa roehling.
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

This website was created by NASCSP in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0431 and the Community Action Partnership in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0428.

Any opinion, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US DHHS, ACF.