Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: ELITE Leadership

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #147

Hi - I am excited to be hosting ELITE in California and working closely with Lil on this valuable program. As Program/Communications Manager, with the California/Nevada Community Action Partnership (Cal/Neva), I lead the program and promotion activities for the State Community Action Association. I have extensive experience in communications and marketing, training, strategic planning, graphic design, web maintenance and community relations. This gives me an opportunity to consult with and advise CAAs on the development of their Media Relations and Outreach policies and procedures, and on how to effectively market and disseminate community action information. I have a MA in Organizational Management and a BA in Psychology. And, I just learned that I am now a CCAP.

There have been several people in my career and in my life that have possessed the qualities of an excellent leader. They are visionary and build excitement around the mission of the organization. They are passionate. They take the time to listen but they make definitive decisions.
A few years ago I read a book by Patrick Lencioni, (2002). The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Jossey-Bass Publisher. It profoundly impacted me and was influential in the development of my own leadership and management styles. Understanding his concepts of Absence of Trust, Fear of Conflict, Lack of Commitment, Avoidance of Accountability and Inattention to Results, helped me to incorporate openness, mentoring, teamwork, vulnerability, clarity,accountability and success into my own leadership style.

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #148

Hi Lynn, Just read your opening comments and had to take a brief moment to congratulate you on your CCAP certification. Amazing and a job well done. Thank you for sharing.
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by Elizabeth Porter.

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #149

1. Hello all! I'm Shelton Moore, Family Support Services Director (CSBG and WIA Youth Programs) of Iredell Community Action Research and Evaluation, Inc. (I-CARE,Inc.), which is located in Statesville, NC. I enjoy athletics, music, and exercise. The majority of my time is spent with family, friends, and coaching (youth football/basketball).

a. I was introduced to community action nearly three years ago, as a Case Manager and eventually transitioned into my current role. I'm humbled and privileged to have an opportunity to assist those in need. Prior to this opportunity I mentored 6-8 graders at a local middle school, and worked several years as a case manager in Mental Health. I look forward to NC ELITE and working with each of you over the next year.

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #150

Qualities that define a good leader are integrity, respect, fairness, courageous, intelligence, patience, a good communicator, a motivator, and flexible. Of these qualities, integrity, respect, courageous, and flexibility are most important. Though, I think the best leaders are able to demonstrate each of these qualities. I’ve been fortunate to have several great leaders in my life, but the current Executive Director of I-CARE has been the most influential in my professional prosperity. I value him both personally and professionally, but I really appreciate his attention to details. I’ve learned the significance analyzing information, as well as, examining various scenarios and outcomes while managing a situation. This quality helps ensure success and eliminates error.

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #151

It sounds like Mr.Moore embraced the servant style leadership. I find this type of leader to be very effective and empowering.

(This was supposed to be in reply to Kim Clark - sorry! Still learning how to use the forum!)
Director of Research, Planning, and Grants Development
Southeast Kansas Community Action Program
620-724-8204, ex. 1026

beckyg@sek-cap.com
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Becky Gray.

Re: ELITE Leadership 7 years, 6 months ago #152

Kim Clark wrote:
Qualities that define a good leader include integrity, dedication, magnanimity, humility, openness, creativity, fairness, vision, and a sense of humor. Of these qualities, I believe integrity is the most important. A leader with integrity will naturally exhibit the other qualities I have mentioned. A leader with integrity will be dedicated and won't have a problem with sharing successes achieved with the individuals within the company or group. A leader with integrity will maintain a vision that will benefit the organization as well as the individuals he/she supervises.

There are several great leaders who have influenced my life professionally and personally. The one who has influenced me most is O. L. Moore, Jr. Mr. Moore led the community action movement in my area. This agency became his legacy. He was a man of integrity. He always put others first. He led in a way that made you want to follow. Mr. Moore taught me the importance of leading by example. Employees respect a leader who not only provides direction but demonstrates the importance of each and every task assigned.

It sounds like Mr. Moore embraced the servant style leadership. I find this leadership style to be very empowering and effective.
Director of Research, Planning, and Grants Development
Southeast Kansas Community Action Program
620-724-8204, ex. 1026

beckyg@sek-cap.com
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

This website was created by NASCSP in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0431 and the Community Action Partnership in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0428.

Any opinion, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US DHHS, ACF.