Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: ELITE Leadership

ELITE Leadership 8 years, 8 months ago #101

• Lindley Dupree
  • We’re all given gifts–where we share them=passion!
  • , DC
This is first of several topic threads we'll be using for our ELITE Leadership discussion. This is not a private forum, please feel free to jump into the discussion at any point/place!

The questions for this first week:

1. Please introduce yourself briefly, including location, agency, professional role and anything else you feel move to share.
a. Touch on how you arrived in your current role.
b. Please upload a picture of yourself into your online CSBG TTA Resource Center profile! If you don’t do online photos (it’s a secure website!), choose some other photo, clipart or icon as your avatar.

2. What are the qualities that define a good leader? Which ones are most important to you?
a. Note: you have to have interacted with the person in the next part of this question – no choosing Dr. King, Gandhi, Peter Drucker, etc unless you can make a good case that you worked with them . What leader has most influenced you professionally, personally or both?
b. What was the greatest skill/lesson/takeaway you learned from this person? Why?
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Lindley Dupree. Reason: Expand message

Re: ELITE Leadership 8 years, 8 months ago #108

Bob Brandenburg joined the Oklahoma Association of Community Action Agencies in 1999. My current title is Communications Director. Prior to current position, I served as executive director of Consulting Engineers Council of Oklahoma, Wisconsin Association of Consulting Engineers, and Oklahoma Home Health Care Association. I came to my current position after federal funding law changed for home care services and the association staff was reduced to one person. Current responsibilities include board governance training, electronic newsletter, website, publications preparation, and program coordination. Also support Head Start State Advisory Council office which is housed in OKACAA.

Re: ELITE Leadership 8 years, 8 months ago #112

I am Darci Bultje from South Dakota! I am currently the South Dakota Community Action Coordinator. The Coordinator position is a half time position. The other half of me is the Community Services Director at the Rural Office of Community Services, Inc., one of the four Community Action Agencies in South Dakota. I have been with ROCS for nine years, and have been the CSD for the last five. The Coordinator position was created through the OCS Regional Grants and so far has been an interesting and challenging position. My duties are to promote Community Action in South Dakota, provide information and opportunities to the four agencies, secure funding for Statewide projects and to coordinate training and technical assistance for the agencies. Right now, I am planning and organizing the Region 8 and 10 Conference to be held in Rapid City in September. I have begun my ROMA certification and will continue providing ROMA training to our boards. I look forward to "meeting" all of my peers through this ELITE Course and am excited for the opportunity!
Darci Bultje
South Dakota Community Action Coordinator
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: ELITE Leadership 8 years, 8 months ago #115

Barbara Miller from the West Virginia Community Action Partnership, formally of CAS in Washington and Greene County PA. I served 10 years as Director of FSS and three as Director of Training and Development. I came to this job as a result of my certification in both ROMA and Family Development Credentialing. I currently live in PA on the weekends and in West Virginia during the week. I provide trainings and support to the agencies in West Virginia and am very pleased that I could continue my work as part of Community Action. I am hoping to meet colleagues and learn much from being part of the cohort, and I hope I can add to the discussion.

Re: ELITE Leadership 8 years, 7 months ago #117

Hello everyone! My name is Becky Gray, and I serve as the Director of Research, Planning, and Grants Development for the Southeast Kansas Community Action Partnership (SEK-CAP). I started collecting and analyzing data for social service agencies in Tulsa, Oklahoma with an organization called Q2 Consulting about 10 years ago. Being the geek that I am, I fell in love with data, grant writing, and grants management, so I pursued an education in Technical and Professional Writing.

While finishing my degree three years ago, I was lucky enough to find an internship at SEK-CAP, and I have been here ever since! I feel like I have found a home in Community Action!

In my current role, I locate funding, communicate with the public (via Face book, internet, television, and in person), communicate with elected officials, facilitate community focus groups, coordinate the regional homeless provider network, analyze data, write reports… there is more, I am sure. Mostly, I am working hard to decrease the causes and effects of poverty in Southeast Kansas. I love my job!
Director of Research, Planning, and Grants Development
Southeast Kansas Community Action Program
620-724-8204, ex. 1026

beckyg@sek-cap.com

Re: ELITE Leadership 8 years, 7 months ago #118

I have had the good fortune in working with exceptional leaders on occasion, but for this post, I’ll focus on a professional leader, a former supervisor named Dr. Peter Stromberg (from Q2 Consulting, as I mentioned in my other post) and my former professor, Dr. Celia Patterson. The two of them possess some similar qualities, which is perhaps the reason I am drawn to them as leaders.

They both have a way about them that makes me feel like I a very important person – in reflection, I think they do this by being fully engaged in our conversations, and actively listening. They are both thoughtful, and slow to react. They look at all angles of a situation, and rather than telling me what they see, the ask questions that will enable me to learn how to perform their mental gymnastics and see the new perspective for myself.

Both of these people are very trustworthy – if they tell me they will do something, I can believe them. They are also both flawed, and admit it; they do not try to be perfect or to do everything themselves, rather they ask for help when its needed. One thing Dr. Patterson told me was that she tried to find each person’s talent, then set them up to succeed. She wouldn’t task a writer with managing a budget, for example, but rather with editing text.

Both of these people are also slightly goofy; they laugh a lot, make intelligent connections, and encourage a happy, productive environment.
Director of Research, Planning, and Grants Development
Southeast Kansas Community Action Program
620-724-8204, ex. 1026

beckyg@sek-cap.com
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

This website was created by NASCSP in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0431 and the Community Action Partnership in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0428.

Any opinion, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US DHHS, ACF.