Welcome, Guest

Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE

Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 4 months ago #247

• Lindley Dupree
  • We’re all given gifts–where we share them=passion!
  • , DC
Hello, Emerging Leaders!

For this week's post, please post your thoughts on two subjects:

1. How you, personally, can be a good/better advocate for Community Action; and

2. How you think your agency could benefit from focused advocacy on an community/agency issue of your choosing. Please include who you would target, the outcomes you would like to achieve, the kinds of stories and data that you would use to make your case, and at least one outcome measure that you would use.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Lindley Dupree.

Re: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 3 months ago #249

1. In response to the first question, I think that I can be a better advocate for community action by utilizing more avenues to advocate on behalf of community action. It has become very apparent over the last several months of the presidential race that there are numerous people that are uneducated about the realities of poverty, low-income individuals and government assistance. Through multiple conversations with my friends, family and co-workers I realize that there are so many misconceptions and people are making important decisions based off of what they think is truth. At times, especially when dealing with family and friends, I have kept quiet or ignored their statements instead of addressing the issue. However, I realize that it is important for me to advocate on behalf of the poor and community action any opportunity I have (even if I have to beat that dead horse one more time :)).

2. I think that our state wide network could benefit from training regarding building relationships with legislators. We have heard time and time again that people are too intimidated to call or meet with their legislator. I think if we could de-stigmatize legislators and help our network see that they are the experts they would feel much more equipped to contact their legislators. I think the target audience would be front line staff and program managers and we could measure the success by tracking the number of visits and calls made to legislators.

Re: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 3 months ago #250

1. I feel that I can advocate more effectively by helping to educate my colleagues
about the difference between advocacy and lobbying and the critical ways in
which advocacy intersects with the community action mission. Additionally, I
will continue to provide creative ideas for deepening advocacy efforts within
my state.
2. North Carolina's governmental and community organization who provide employment support need to increase their awareness about poverty in NC and the need for collaboration, especially with community action agencies. Within our state there is an opportunity to target the state workforce development network, the community college system and community action agencies. A desirable outcome is to increase awareness amongst service providers regarding the unique resources they are able to provide to meet community. A strategy would be to use civic engagement training and the community action poverty simulation to provide insight on realities faced by those living in poverty and to use the experience as a springboard for conversations on strategies for collaborating and sharing information to help persons seeking employment within communities. State representatives from the Division of Workforce Solutions, the NC Community College System and the NC Community Action Association, could encourage participation from their respective constituents. An outcome measure could be sign-in sheets and evaluations.
Tiffney Marley
North Carolina Community Action Association
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by Tiffney Marley. Reason: funky text in the original message.

Re: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 3 months ago #251

1. I can be a better advocate for Community Action by becoming a lifelong learner. This will ensure that I stay abreast with both economical and societal trends, policies, and resources needed to assist low-income individuals and families.

2. I-CARE could benefit from Focused Advocacy by assisting the county with decreasing the unemployment rate. The target group would include those individuals who are considered the long-term unemployed, ages 40-55. The goal would be to bring together local officials, partners, personnel management leaders, and the local community college to fuel this effort. Individuals that have been unemployed/displaced for more than three years would have an opportunity to learn specific skills needed to fill current openings. Counties would provide incentives to prospective employers for hiring and creating jobs. The community college would ensure training opportunities, to include machine operation, diagnostics, logistics, administration, and soft skills. The agency and college would be responsible for identifying and applying for grants to assist in funding the initiative. The agency and college will track participant progress. Individual testimony should convince and demonstrate an immediate need to help this population return to work and regain self-sufficiency. The outcome would be for 100 individuals to gain employment each year for 4 years.

Re: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 3 months ago #252

1 I can be a better advocate for Community Action by making the public aware of the impact that Community Action agencies have on the communities around the state. I can accomplish this by becoming knowledgeable of statistical data (showing CAA's impact) and information available through partners like NASCSP, NCAF NCAP etc... to serve as talking points, actively participate in local and state events and platforms that are conducive for this conversation, and organized events and pr materials that educate legislators and the public about the works of Community Action.

2 In Alabama we could benefit from focused community advocacy that promote legislators, city officials and decision makers to recruit companies paying higher wages to the state. Advocacy promoting the recruitment of new businesses paying higher wages would allow residents to dig their way out of poverty. Advocacy would include educating officials and decision makers on the true cost of living required to do more than 'get by' but to live and save. This can be accomplished through literature and public relations efforts. The outcome would be a reduction in the number of residents living in poverty. Another outcome would be an increase # of higher paying jobs available. The measurement would be a reduced number of residents requiring governmental assistance.

Re: Advocacy, Lobbying and their intersection - ELITE 7 years, 3 months ago #253

1. How you, personally, can be a good/better advocate for Community Action; and

I think that a key for me to becoming a more effective advocate for Community Action is to be more purposeful about it. In thinking about it, I have a number of opportunities to engage with local officials, legislators, and other stakeholders on a variety of issues that impact low-income people. I believe that I am an effective spokesperson for the agency and poverty-related issues, but I do not always take advantage of the opportunities that I have to use that influence.
2. How you think your agency could benefit from focused advocacy on an community/agency issue of your choosing. Please include who you would target, the outcomes you would like to achieve, the kinds of stories and data that you would use to make your case, and at least one outcome measure that you would use.
One advocacy issue that I am actively pursuing is concerned with the development of a state-based New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) program in Virginia. People Incorporated has received three allocations of NMTC from U.S. Department of Treasury. Neighboring states such as Kentucky and North Carolina are actively considering or have established NMTC programs that provide state tax credits to investors that fund high impact community development projects in their states that are closely modeled on the Federal NMTC program. People Incorporated's reputation and status as an accomplished NMTC practitioner puts the agency in an ideal position to advocate for the establishment of a Virginia NMTC program, which could significantly increase the amount of private investment that flows into distressed communities throughout the state.
We have closed two transactions in Virginia that would serve as prime examples of how additional tax incentives can help to stimulate economic development and create jobs in low income communities. In advocating for the state credit, People Incorporated can demonstrate the economic impact that our and similar investments have had for local communities.
The target audience for this work is members of the Virginia Senate and House of Delegates, and especially those members with districts that indicate high rates of poverty and unemployment. Anticipated outcomes for this work would be drafting model legislation that could be entertained or introduced during the next session of the Virginia General Assembly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds

This website was created by NASCSP in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0431 and the Community Action Partnership in the performance of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services Grant Number 90ET0428.

Any opinion, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US DHHS, ACF.